Who Needs Document Translation Services?

In today’s world, almost anyone may need document translation services at a certain point. People are more willing than ever to go to a foreign country to study, work, or even relocate. As the internet and affordable travel penetrate all countries and cultures, more individuals are  realizing that they could improve their lives and reach their goals abroad. And, in all of these cases, they will need official document translation services.

In general, when you think about who needs translation services, you think of business owners or immigrants. But there are so many other circumstances when even you may need an official document translation. You may want to send your children to study at one of the best universities in the US or UK. Maybe you found the love of your life abroad and got married in a foreign country. In each of these cases, you may need to find a professional agency specializing in certified document translation.

USCIS Document Translation Requirements

As noted above, one of the most frequent types of document translation services required by our clients is for official documents, according to USCIS standards. USCIS stands for US Citizenship and Immigration Services, the federal agency that oversees lawful immigration to the United States. Also, the agency manages the process allowing foreign citizens to legally work in the US, either on a temporary or permanent basis.

Given the critical processes it oversees, USCIS has specific and strict requirements for official document translation. These are:

The Document Translation Must Have a Certification

Official document translation must be done by a certified translator. Each document translated into English for submission to USCIS must be accompanied by the translator’s certification, stating that:

  • The translation is complete and accurate
  • The translator was provided with the original of the source document
  • The translator is competent to translate from the foreign language into English

The Certification Must Be in a Specific Format

USCIS has a specific format for the certification that accompanies translated documents. Professional translators know this format and will always use it. Any variation from the approved format may lead to the rejection of your application.

For this reason, you should always hire a professional agency for document translation.

Full Translation of the Contents of the Birth Certificate

Your birth certificate is the most important piece of identification in your visa application file. And USCIS has specific requirements for official document translation. Every word and symbol on your birth certificate must appear in the translated documents, including:

  • Dashes
  • Stamps and seals
  • Illegible parts of the documents specified as such

Differences Between Certified Document Translation and Notarization

In most of the cases, you will be required to provide a certified official document translation by various agencies and authorities. In some cases, the requirements specify: “document translation and notarization”. What does this mean and what do you have to do? Official document translation might be necessary for immigration, work, education, etc.

The notarization is a certification given by a public notary. It is crucial to note that a public notary will not certify a document translation, as they are not competent in the foreign language. The only thing the notarization will certify is the statement provided by the certified translator.

It is ultimately a statement that an official document translation is an authentic document and it prevents it from being falsified or otherwise altered or tampered with. A professional translation agency usually has an in-house public notary, speeding up the process of document translation and notarization.

You should always specify if you need your documents translated and notarized. If you submit a certified translation without the public notary’s certification, your application will likely be rejected.

Who Needs Translation Services?

We have already discussed the kind of people who need official document translation services. But what are the industries where translations are most necessary? In our experience, these are:

  • Immigration – document translation of identity documents, educational and work records
  • Education – school record transcripts, graduation diplomas and certificates of completion
  • Healthcare – medical records
  • Legal – birth, marriage, and death certificates
  • Business – agreements, invoices, addenda
  • Marketing – website content, marketing campaigns and presentation brochures

Whatever your reasons may be, you should always look for a professional translation agency that works with experienced certified translators. It is the only guarantee you have that the document translation is accurate, complete, and meets the requirements of the agency or legal entity that requires the respective translated documents.

Hire Specialists in Official Document Translation

At Pronto Translations, we have over 20 years of experience in helping individuals and businesses with document translation services in +300 language pairs. Upon request, we can assign a certified translator for your document and help you with document translation and notarization.

We are located in New York, NY, but we also help clients with official document translation in:

  • Chelsea
  • Midtown
  • Soho
  • Greenwich Village
  • All of Manhattan
  • Hoboken, NJ
  • Jersey City, NJ
  • … and anywhere worldwide remotely

Contact us today at 646-984-4073.